Wednesday, July 20, 2011

CSA Pick Up July 21























Well the heat is on. It is suppose to be another scorcher tomorrow. I am getting up early to harvest the lettuce and Chard and hope to have them in the refrigerator before they wilt. There are lots of summer squash. The plants are at least 3-4' tall. They are huge. They are giving me at least 20 + squash a day. It is so exciting to pick them early in the morning and hearing and seeing the honey bees busy gathering pollen from the flowers. I fear that 2 of my plants have Squash Vine Borer. Mary the UConn Extension entomologist told me to look for an entrance hole near the soil. So I have some homework to do. If it is the Squash Vine Borer then I need to pull the plants before the eggs hatch and the larvae exit back into the soil. I can still plant more summer squash so I can keep it going.

The peppers are starting to form too. There will be some Hot Wax Peppers this week and I hope some frying peppers next week. The Tomatoes are hanging on too. So pretty soon we will have fresh garden tomatoes.

I have cleared and weeded where the peas were and so the next step is to add some compost and plant more pole beans and cucumbers. I will to that on Friday along with planting more Chard and Kale.

Lots of veggies taking shape. It is hard for me to wait. The potatoes are in flower as well as the watermelon. This is the first year for me to grow watermelon so I hope it turns out well.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment