Saturday, January 21, 2012

2012 January Snow


We finally got some snow in January. Yea! The gardens need some covering on top of their stand of Oats so this is a good thing. The picture is of our Mongolian Yurt covered in snow. It is a new addition to the farm fun.

We are busy now ordering seed and organizing the green house to start our leeks. I just got my North American Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar so I can figure out my planting schedule. This guide helps me to plant by the moon by giving me optimum days for sowing, pruning and harvesting varoius plants and crops,, as well as working with bees. Another job to do when the snow flys is revising the garden plan for crop rotation. Crop Rotation is important in order to control insect and disease problems.

Ir is also recipe gathering time and putting together the recipes for the CSA weekly shareholders.to have when they start their pick ups in June. I am also going to put together a monthly calendar of events for the Farm. I hope to have a monthly garden morning where people can come and get their hands dirty in the soil or help with another farm project.

Cut Flowers are going to be a new attempt this year so there hopefully will be a time to come and make your own flower arrangement.

The big rock garden is going to become my Medicine Wheel Garden for all my herbs. I am excited to have this garden to help me in my herbal adventures.

Lots to do in the winter for the farmer.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment